Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Issue with Sandwiches

It's bound to be nigh impossible to find a college-aged female in the U.S. who hasn't heard this.

"Make me a sandwich/sammich!"

This demand is usually jokingly given by a male acquaintance. Asa says it frequently, and I have male friends back home who are saying they will be attending a "National 'Make Me a Sammich' Day".

I believe this is the part where I bow my head in shame for even knowing these people, letting alone counting them as friends. I mean, really, where to begin with this? It's insulting, even if it is just joking.

First and foremost, there's a serious issue behind this. In the north-western hemisphere of Planet Earth, there has been this horrible tendency to keep women barefoot and pregnant and in the kitchen. Because that's where we're supposed to be, right? Good little wives always fixing something for our hubby and brood of children to eat.

Excuse me as I gag.

Frankly, this whole issue is ridiculous given the number of young women who can't cook. Amongst my female friends, I'm just about the only one who consistently cooks and actually likes it. I get inventive because I actually know what coriander is and I know the difference between a chef's knife and a paring knife.

Really, guys? If you want a sandwich so badly, go make it yourself. If you're just joking, stop. It's not funny and frankly, it's getting old.

(For the record, I don't really quote people in this. I just rant, because that's what I'm good at and it saves me from copyright issues. I do do research though. If you want to know anything about my sources, just send me a message.)

2 comments:

  1. I hate that joke.
    So much.
    My friend Mike says it to me on occasion & I've already told him I'm planning on making him a knuckle sammich when he least expects it.
    There's a Facebook fan page for this though. It is rather amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It shouldn't even be classified as a joke.

    ReplyDelete